Sunday, February 12, 2006

Touch the Top of the World: Blind Ambition

Behind-the-scenes photo from Touch the Top of the World: The Erik Weihenmayer Story
Tara Merrin with the Calgary Sun recently interviewed actor Peter Facinelli, who stars in the A&E TV movie, Touch the Top of the World: The Erik Weihenmayer Story:
“It’s been a phenomenal experience,” says Facinelli from the set.

“This is not just a job for me — it’s an opportunity to be a part of telling a story that, I think, is an important story to be told.”

Within minutes of speaking to the L.A.-based actor, it is apparent just how dedicated he is to his role.

Not only has Facinelli researched Weihenmayer’s life in great detail, he has spent a lot of time, and even rock-climbed, with the world-class athlete.

But, despite all his preparation, Facinelli says he never would have been able to truly understand Weihenmayer’s unbelievable journey without knowing first-hand what it’s like to be blind.

“I talked to the director about it and decided to get contacts to impair my vision. This way I get to experience a little bit of what Erik experiences every day,” says Facinelli, who is filming almost the entire movie without his sight.

“When I first put the contacts in, people instantly wanted to do everything for me. I had to constantly remind myself not to let them because Erik is very self-reliant.”
In addition to Big Rock, the film has lensed at Sunshine Village, Fortress Mountain, and locations around Calgary. Check out the link above for the full story.

Photo courtesy of the official Peter Facinelli website.

No comments: